Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Today's Praise: Door to Door Organics (sorry no photo :()

Today's Recipe: Candied Acorn Squash

So let's start with Door to Door. If you're a faithful follower of this nonsensical blog, you've heard me mention my organic produce delivery service before. This is Door to Door Organics. This service is similar to a CSA; however, it isn't a true CSA because instead of coming from one farm, this service pools resources from organic produce growers to provide organic produce year round. In the summer, the produce is about 95% local, but what's nice about this is you can get it through the winter as well. The contents of the box varies per week (or every two weeks, which is my frequency of delivery), and you can set dietary preferences and substitute other available things for produce you might not use through your online account. Its a great way to get affordable sustainable organic produce and also try new things. Check them out: www.doortodoororganics.com

Last year, one of the items I got in my "box" was acorn squash, so I found this recipe, slightly modified it, and it came out awesome. It kind of tastes similar to sweet potatoes, which are one of my FAV foods...MMM!

Acorn Squash, Nuke Style:

2 acorn squash
4 tsp margarine (I am a Bummel and Brown fan)
4 tsp brown sugar
S&P to taste

Half the squah and remove the seeds with a big spoon. Then prick the inside all over with a fork. Put 1 tsp margarine and brown sugar in each half.

Place halves cut side up on a microwaveable plate and nuke on high for 10 minutes or until the flesh is soft and an obviously edible consistency (don't you love my cooking jargon?). Basically, the longer you cook the softer it gets...well until you hit that "oh its burnt" threshold. Season with S&P to taste and enjoy.

Happy Hump Day!

1 comment:

  1. Door To Door organics sounds like a fantastic program. Too bad we don't have it here in CA!

    This recipe sounds amazing - I've never actually eaten an acorn squash. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete