Tuesday, April 20, 2010

So I keep saying I'm going to get better about blogging here, but I don't seem to be able to ACTUALLY do it!

In the past two months of my non blogging, I have failed miserably at the attempt to be a vegetarian. So much so, that I have resigned to the fact that I am just not cut out for it. One of the struggles I had with being a vegetarian is the ease of falling into the processed foods trap with meat substitutes and soy products. As a personal preference, for me, it is more important to limit processed food than it is to not eat meat. Thus, I have chosen to give up a complete vegetarian lifestyle but instead work towards eating whole, organic, and unprocessed foods.

There's a little part of me that still worries about the way meats are processed and things of that nature, so I will also aim to choose fully pastured and/or organic options as much as possible and reasonable (read: for the wallet). I do foresee keeping a largely vegetarian diet but won't be limiting myself to a complete vegetarian diet.

So enough rambling about my inability to commit to not eating, I guess I need to decide in what direction to take this blog! I think I will still talk about good products that I find when I feel like a pre-packaged product is worthy, and I will still post recipes! I think that this will be much more about a healthy, clean, whole lifestyle instead of just about being a veggie.

I hope you stick with me!

Here's a recipe for you, just for reading!

Ham and Cheddar Quiche (I recommend broccoli cheese for you veggies):
One Pie crust (I highly recommend making your own. I did)
Five eggs
3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1 cup cheddar
1 cup ham (or broccoli)
pinch of each: salt, pepper, nutmeg

Chop the ham or broccoli into small pieces and put into a pan. Cook until the ham is golden brown or until the broccoli is cooked through. Lightly beat the eggs and combine with milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Place the ham/broccoli and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over these and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until the egg is puffy and golden brown on top.

Serve for breakfast with a glass of milk, or for lunch or dinner with a salad. YUM!



Maybe if you're lucky I'll share my secret perfect pie crust recipe with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment